(a) CERTAIN PROVISIONS TO APPLY TO GRANTS- The following provisions of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (and any subsequent revisions thereto or renumbering thereof), shall apply to grants provided under this part:
(1) Section 5(f) (relating to single agency audit).
(2) Section 6 (relating to criminal activities; penalties).
(3) Section 7 (relating to wage and labor standards).
(4) Section 104 (relating to retention of Federal employee coverage).
(5) Section 105(f) (relating to Federal property).
(6) Section 105(k) (relating to access to Federal sources of supply).
(7) Section 105(l) (relating to lease of facility used for administration and delivery of services).
(8) Section 106(f) (relating to limitation on remedies relating to cost allowances).
(9) Section 106(j) (relating to use of funds for matching or cost participation requirements).
(10) Section 106(k) (relating to allowable uses of funds).
(11) Section 108(c) (Model Agreements provisions (1)(a)(5) (relating to limitations of costs), (1)(a)(7) (relating to records and monitoring), (1)(a)(8) (relating to property), and (a)(1)(9) (relating to availability of funds).
(12) Section 109 (relating to reassumption).
(13) Section 111 (relating to sovereign immunity and trusteeship rights unaffected).
(b) ELECTION FOR GRANT IN LIEU OF CONTRACT-
(1) IN GENERAL- Contractors for activities to which this part applies who have entered into a contract under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act that is in effect on the date of enactment of the Native American Education Improvement Act of 2001 may, by giving notice to the Secretary, elect to have the provisions of this part apply to such activity in lieu of such contract.
(2) EFFECTIVE DATE OF ELECTION- Any election made under paragraph (1) shall take effect on the first day of July immediately following the date of such election.
(3) EXCEPTION- In any case in which the first day of July immediately following the date of an election under paragraph (1) is less than 60 days after such election, such election shall not take effect until the first day of July of year following the year in which the election is made.
(c) NO DUPLICATION- No funds may be provided under any contract entered into under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act to pay any expenses incurred in providing any program or services if a grant has been made under this part to pay such expenses.
(d) TRANSFERS AND CARRYOVERS-
(1) BUILDINGS, EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES, MATERIALS- A tribe or tribal organization assuming the operation of —
(A) a Bureau school with assistance under this part shall be entitled to the transfer or use of buildings, equipment, supplies, and materials to the same extent as if it were contracting under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act; or
(B) a contract school with assistance under this part shall be entitled to the transfer or use of buildings, equipment, supplies, and materials that were used in the operation of the contract school to the same extent as if it were contracting under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act.
(2) FUNDS- Any tribe or tribal organization which assumes operation of a Bureau school with assistance under this part and any tribe or tribal organization which elects to operate a school with assistance under this part rather that to continue as a contract school shall be entitled to any funds which would carryover from the previous fiscal year as if such school were operated as a contract school.
(3) FUNDING FOR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT- Any tribe or tribal organization that assumes operation of a Bureau school or a contract school with assistance under this part shall be eligible for funding for the improvement, alteration, replacement, and repair of facilities to the same extent as a Bureau school.
(e) EXCEPTIONS, PROBLEMS, AND DISPUTES- Any exception or problem cited in an audit conducted pursuant to section 5206(b)(1), any dispute regarding a grant authorized to be made pursuant to this part or any amendment to such grant, and any dispute involving an administrative cost grant under section 1128 of the Education Amendments of 1978 shall be administered under the provisions governing such exceptions, problems, or disputes in the case of contracts under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act. The Equal Access to Justice Act shall apply to administrative appeals filed after September 8, 1988, by grantees regarding a grant under this part, including an administrative cost grant.