(a) REVIEW OF STATE PLANS- In reviewing the State plan submitted by a State educational agency under section 722(g), the Secretary shall use a peer review process and shall evaluate whether State laws, policies, and practices described in such plan adequately address the problems of homeless children and youths relating to access to education and placement as described in such plan.
(b) TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE- The Secretary shall provide support and technical assistance to a State educational agency to assist such agency in carrying out its responsibilities under this subtitle, if requested by the State educational agency.
(c) NOTICE- The Secretary shall, before the next school year that begins after the date of enactment of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, create and disseminate nationwide a public notice of the educational rights of homeless children and youths and disseminate such notice to other Federal agencies, programs, and grantees, including Head Start grantees, Health Care for the Homeless grantees, Emergency Food and Shelter grantees, and homeless assistance programs administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(d) EVALUATION AND DISSEMINATION- The Secretary shall conduct evaluation and dissemination activities of programs designed to meet the educational needs of homeless elementary and secondary school students, and may use funds appropriated under section 726 to conduct such activities.
(e) SUBMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION- The Secretary shall require applications for grants under this subtitle to be submitted to the Secretary not later than the expiration of the 60-day period beginning on the date that funds are available for purposes of making such grants and shall make such grants not later than the expiration of the 120-day period beginning on such date.
(f) DETERMINATION BY SECRETARY- The Secretary, based on the information received from the States and information gathered by the Secretary under subsection (h), shall determine the extent to which State educational agencies are ensuring that each homeless child and homeless youth has access to a free appropriate public education, as described in section 721(1).
(g) GUIDELINES- The Secretary shall develop, issue, and publish in the Federal Register, not later than 60 days after the date of enactment of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, school enrollment guidelines for States with respect to homeless children and youths. The guidelines shall describe —
(1) successful ways in which a State may assist local educational agencies to immediately enroll homeless children and youths in school; and
(2) how a State can review the States requirements regarding immunization and medical or school records and make such revisions to the requirements as are appropriate and necessary in order to enroll homeless children and youths in school immediately.
(1) IN GENERAL- From funds appropriated under section 726, the Secretary shall, directly or through grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements, periodically collect and disseminate data and information regarding —
(A) the number and location of homeless children and youths;
(B) the education and related services such children and youths receive;
(C) the extent to which the needs of homeless children and youths are being met; and
(D) such other data and information as the Secretary determines to be necessary and relevant to carry out this subtitle.
(2) COORDINATION- The Secretary shall coordinate such collection and dissemination with other agencies and entities that receive assistance and administer programs under this subtitle.
(i) REPORT- Not later than 4 years after the date of enactment of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, the Secretary shall prepare and submit to the President and the Committee on Education and the Workforce of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of the Senate a report on the status of education of homeless children and youths, which shall include information on —
(1) the education of homeless children and youths; and
(2) the actions of the Secretary and the effectiveness of the programs supported under this subtitle.